Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Bloody Mess

Two small dogs have taken occupancy in a neighbors yard. They are kept tied to a back fence that we share. The dogs do not like them, and this is especially true for Rudy. He jumps against the back fence and you can see scratch marks on it. He has dug under the fence line, and will bark nonstop at them or fence fight for lack of a better term. Is Rudy dog aggressive? Absolutely not. In fact, I will guarantee you that if you put those two dogs in my yard, Rudy would become fast friends with them. He doesn't like dogs that happen to be on the opposite side of a fence, is all. I think lots of dogs are like this for some reason.

On Monday while I was at work, Rudy dug under the fence and managed to get a paw in the neighbors yard. This must have infuriated the little mutts because he was bitten pretty badly. The blood loss was incredible. It could be found in puddles all over the yard, the deck and in the kitchen, bloody paw prints covered the entire floor. It looked as though someone had shot him. Rudy was stained with blood and mud but he was not limping from the paw wound. I gave him an oatmeal bath and dressed his wound, surprised that a dog bite on a paw could cause so much blood loss.

He's doing just fine now. Rudy got a rabies vaccination today so that he can be kenelled at the animal hospital for 2 days while we go out of town. I bought a bordetella shot and an 8 in 1 from the feed store that I'll give him tomorrow. I hate to give shots and I don't think rabies is needed every year but we do have lots of wild rabbits around here.

And what about those dogs on the other side of the fence? Well, Rudy is kept in a pen during the day now and at night he is kept in the house. We have cemented the bottom of the fence line, and I hope that the cement prevents him from putting his paws where they don't belong.

Also, I will be taking pics of him this weekend. My Mother asked that I send a bunch to her but wouldn't tell me why. Maybe it's something for my birthday. Also, I want to send a few to his breeder. I'll make sure to post them here as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home